Last year I started new quilts for the boys because they had definitely outgrown their old ones! They also have x-long twin beds now, so they needed something longer and wider to fit. Sam's quilt I finished just after Christmas.
His was part of my participation in the Instabee Hive 6 group who made some of my blocks. The block is from the book Modern Bee by Lindsay Conner. To make it the size I wanted I had to add quite a few more blocks. Sam chose the color palate. I think it turned out really nice!
I had to improvise on the back because I didn't calculate correctly the amount of backing fabric I needed and I had purchased through e-bay at a great price. So that's where the yellow ? squares came from. However, I wish I had thought it through a little more so I could have positioned them correctly. But honestly, I was rushing to finish and panicked a little when I saw I didn't have enough backing fabric and slapped them on there. So in the end.... let's just say it's "organic" placement. I had fun with the quilting with the loops and starts and even threw his name in there a few times for fun.
For Andrew, he has such a big collection t-shirts, making him a t-shirt quilt was a no brainer.
I had a friend ask how I made this with the different block widths so I thought I'd type it up in a blog post in case someone else would like to know. So, here goes:
I cut out the t-shirt areas I wanted to use and backed them each with Pellon 911. I wanted to use as much from my stash as I could and I had a lot of Kona so I cut lots of colored strips and added borders. Next I laid out all my blocks until I got a layout I liked. Next, I measured the widest block in each column. I then added the appropriate width black strip to either side so that each block in the column was the same width as the widest block. I added a 1.25" strip between each block to form my column. Next I added black to the top and bottom of each column so the were the same length. Next, I added 1.25" sashing in between each column and joined the four columns together. Finally, I added black sashing to either side to finish at my desired width. If you do end up making one or any of my other patterns, I'd love to see!. Share on social media with #fourrobbinsdesigns.
I did make one mistake but did not discover it until my columns were all done -- and that is my left column was NOT the same length as the rest! That's what you get from improv sometimes. I had bought some Cotton + Steel Paper fabric, Bandana Panda Bebe, and had wanted to use it somehow because Andrew's nickname has always been Panda (from Andy Panda). Well, my friend Joanna, @quiltamomma, had just taught me how to do needle turn applique and I had ended up with a big black rectangle there in the bottom left so I added his name. We'll just pretend I meant to do that (wink wink).
Then I finished it off with some fun Dr. Who fabric. I love how it turned out!
Here are a few closeups.