I needed a little something to add to a little contrast to my other mini in my bedroom so I decided to try a little improv applique.
To make this, I cut out a long strip on the bias. If you are new to sewing, that means cutting it diagonally across the fabric so that it has a little more play to curve. I used Steam a Seam 2 to adhere keep it in place as I applied it and then I pressed in in place.
Next, I took a sheet of the Steam a Seam 2 and stuck it to the back of my dandelion fabric. Then I freehand cut out leaf shapes. You could also draw them and then cut them out if you prefer. I stuck the leaves on the vine and when they were all positioned to my liking, I pressed them in place.
To finish, I free motion quilted tiny spirals up the fine stopping at each leave to outline and then go back up and down the center to create a little vein. If you prefer to hand quilt, you will want Light Steam a Seam or other equivalent lighter weight fusible.
I'm really happy with how it turned out and I think it gave my wall a boost. If you have any questions about this project, please feel free to email or comment!